Saturday, December 5, 2009

Super

Well, we've made it! The great 100 days of separation are over and our united life in Galveston has officially begun as of Saturday November 29, 2009 at 1am. I mention the time as I do believe that is the most exhausting drive I have ever endeavored. Props to Andy who drove solo this past August - what a trek!

The good news is that we are here and safe with Dog and Cat in tow. We were unsure about the wisdom of toting Nellie and Harley along with us in the 24 hour car ride. These two are fair weather friends at best...Feline hissing is a common sound in our house as Harley attempts to show the 50 pound pit bull that she is, in fact, queen of the castle. We were pleasantly surprised to note that both pets are excellent travel companions with not a peep out of either until the last hour as Harley made sure to note that she was no longer enjoying her ride in her carrier. Can't blame her. We wanted to get out of our carrier too by that point :-).

Initial tears and anxieties that spawned as I realized "this is actually happening" have subsided quite a bit as I am starting to unpack boxes and set up the new place while Andy attends class during the day. I consider it a step in the right direction that I can now look at pictures of my nephew without welling up into tears. A funny happening that occurred from Saturday through Monday with incredible consistency.

The new place will work just fine. Pictures will be up soon. the place is actually quite cute and seems to fit our modest lifestyle. my motto : The less house you have the less you have to clean! so we'll stick to that until perhaps some day the world deems scientists and nonprofit managers worthy to be paid the big bucks. It will happen some day, I am sure.

OK, Texan lesson #1 - Texans love super-walmart and SO...DO...I!!! Sunday was our first full day in our new digs and I was craving normalcy. Several weeks shacking up with friends and family rather nomadically, followed by two days of non-stop driving left me seeking the comforts of home life and home cooked meals.

Andy got to work unpacking the kitchen and I set off to fill up the refrigerator and get other necessities. Speaking of which, I do believe that the flamingo shaped welcome sign, one that would fit perfectly on the front door of our bungalow and available at super walmart for only $9.99, is actually a necessity. I will have to remember this on my next visit. :-) more on my growing obsession with flamingos later...

Needless to say, I navigated this football stadium sized grocery store with ease. Glad to be alongside my new island neighbors and also extremely glad to find that shower curtains, pajama pants, Bicycles and a stouffers lasagna can all be bought in the same store!! you just never know when you might need to take a shower in your pajamas while riding your bike, now do you? Salute to you, Super Wal-Mart...its quite possible you will become a regular in my weekend repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment