Thursday, August 19, 2010

Off to the Races

G'day folks!

I am eagerly anticipating the close of this week as these two yankee texans have next week off of work without a thing planned. Wahoo! What shall we do with ourselves?

Here's one thing: Start looking at training plans for our first ever half marathon! How exciting :-) I know, I know - when I first revealed my List I was 100% sure to emphasize that marathons were not in my life plan. No mam. No Sir. This girl might have biked a couple thousand miles in a former lifetime but she has not and likely will not ever get the bug to run 26 miles in a row.

That said, a half marathon is certainly within reach. Even better yet, Sir Andrew, PhD, is game too.

We've been reading this book together over the past couple of weeks that I would love to recommend. We haven't finished it yet but we are already enjoying it. Its called "The Principle of the Path," By Andy Stanley. Now, if you are like me and read this title you will immediately be turned off. Read the back, and you might be turned off even more. The title sings too much of those cheesy self help books. Or, worse yet, one of those awful prosperity band wagons from a couple of years ago like "The Secret". You remember?

"The Secret to life is pure, unbridled optimism. Just say to yourself, there WILL be a parking space at the front of the mall, on a snowy day, 24 hours before Christmas day. Imagine it in your mind and consciously feel your car turning into the space directly in front of Macys. and Voila! it WILL happen"

Barf. I consider myself to be a relatively positive person, but even I know that the Secret to getting a good parking spot on Christmas eve lies only in parking my bum on the couch with a copy of Its a Wonderful Life and a cup of steaming hot chocolate.

For this particular book however, I did keep reading. I have alot of respect for Andy Stanley, the author, and just wanted to make sure he hadn't gone off the deep end. And, despite the title, he hasn't. The book is a walk through a principle that he has discovered as a minister over the past 20 something years. He suggests, that after years of hearing all too many tales of divorce, bankruptcy, broken friendships etc etc., that he has uncovered an underlying life principle that weaves its way through all of them. In fact, this principle, when properly leveraged, can lead us to be people who have wonderful marriages, pristine finances and a plethora of devoted friends.

His principle is this :

Direction, not intention, determines destination.

Think about it. You'll have to buy the book to learn more. Or, if you cozy on up to me I might just lend it to you when we finish. But consider this: People don't wake up one morning and say to themselves "I want to go into financial ruin today" Nor do they stand on the altar of their wedding day and say "I really want to screw this up." But, as we walk through life each day we take steps that lead us on a path. We snap at our spouse. We put it on the credit card even though we don't have the funds to pay it off. We continually ignore the phone call from a friend. add these activities up, day after day and year after year and that puts us on a path financially, relationally, etc. Conversely, if I save money each pay check, eat an apple each day instead of a bag of chips and take the time to call a relative I will likely be on a path in the right direction.
Its common sense, I know, but I never thought about it in this way. I don't intend to be 40 and unhealthy. But if I don't exercise, go for regular check ups, and eat more vegetables than I do chocolate cake, the doctors all guarantee us that I will most likely be seeing them more often than I would like to by the time I reach the big 4-0.

So, it seems we are taking this idea to heart. Its time to put on the running shoes. On November 20th (my 27th birthday, incidentally), Galveston will host its first annual running festival. Some friends have joined us and we are looking forward to getting healthier together. Stay tuned - we'll keep you updated on our progress!

new kicks :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment