Monday, July 26, 2010

Veggie Tales



Happy Monday all!

Tis the first day of the work week...bleh. The good news is that I have a mind full of potential blog material. I've been getting more and more connected to this world of blogs over the past couple of months. Several of our friends in Galveston keep blogs as they too have family and friends that are scattered around the states. Just last week I discovered three friends of mine who post with regularity.

I am also realizing that I tend to do rather long posts with out many pictures every couple of weeks. Some people post pics and just short updates. We'll see if I can mix it up over the coming months.

So here's a quick word on vegetables. A few weeks ago I had a "life moment" as we got ready for bed. After finishing a weekend filled with copious amounts of barbecue, meaty Mexican food and cold cuts, I laid my head back on my pillow feeling as close to a candidate for a heart attack as I believe one can feel without actually having chest pains and shortness of breath. Ugh...you know the feeling. Fat and sweaty and disgusting. Kind of like a pig without the oink. I would venture to say that a deeper analysis of my consumption that weekend almost went to a spiritual level - living in America, gluttony is something I rarely consider - and yet, there it was, tapping on my conscience. Who'd have though a beef fajita could spur spiritual exploration? I suppose at this point I should consider nothing off the table.

So, with a great need to "confess" I stated my current state of meat overload and quickly got to the point with a hastily thrown out suggestion that we take a break from meat for a bit...breath held slightly, eyes peaking through squinted lids at my husband across the room. Keep in mind, while Andy and I have a super communicative relationship and are rarely embarrassed or disturbed to talk frankly with each other about whatever might be on our minds...I was talking to a true blue steak lovin', bbq masterin', "I don't care how much veggies you put on the pizza as long as it has pepperoni on it" husband. This man loves a nice roast beast.  To my great surprise, however, my suggestion was met with an enthusiastic.....

"SURE! that sounds great!"

Even as I write this, I don't know why his general optimism and continued willingness to try new things still continues to surprise me. There is rarely a challenge that he will not dive into with me. This. man. rocks!!

While I must say that vegetarian cooking is often a mystery to me, I decided to really dive. Tofu? I don't really get it but we're gonna give it a shot. Chick peas? I am doubtful of your value beyond a pleasant addition to my salad, but I will give you a second chance too.  With the help of my friend Jenny and her fabulous supply of cook books we went to town last week and it was awesome. Thai Lettuce wraps, stuffed grilled peppers, "labor day spaghetti", and homemade egg rolls.

I must say, I feel fantastic! We've not quit cold turkey. oh, i like that. pun totally intended :-) I've never taken great issue with eating meat or not eating meat. If someone is kind enough to invite me to their home and they are serving meatloaf...well you better believe it...we are eating the meatloaf regardless of how far I go down veggie lane. But, the cool news is that I've become a more creative cook and I've got a ton of energy. A peek in the fridge last night even brought an exclamation from the house meatatarian - "Cool! you bought more tofu!" So, think about it readers. I can even send you some recipes. If you like to cook its a fun avenue to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment