Friday, July 30, 2010

$126.32

Phone Rings.

Kristin: "Hello?" (sounds of cranky baby in background. some strain in my sister's voice as she is likely balancing the phone in one ear while simultaneously changing a diaper, walking the dogs and emptying the dishwasher. at the same time. new mom= multitasker extraordinaire)

Courtney: "Kristin, I have the BEST news. GUESS WHAT!

Kristin: "Whats that?!" (more activity in the background...she must be planting a garden now while repairing the roof and updating her blog. I can only assume.)

Courtney: WE JUST GOT OUR ELECTRIC BILL!!!

Kristin: "honey. we need to have a talk."
__________________________________________

OK, so that was kind of an exaggeration. She wasn't planting the garden. She was just watering it. from the rooftop where she was updating her blo....I digress.

While the endless multitasking is somewhat exaggerated (though my sister rarely ceases to amaze me!), I can say that this is actually quite close to the exact conversation we had last Friday afternoon after work. Why, you might ask, was I so excited to get my electric bill? Time to peel back some layers here.

First, a look back on our first few months in Galveston. We rented a little place on Winnie Street. Perfect size for us if a little oddly laid out. The "master bedroom" was in the front of the house with a "study" adjoined to it. Our "guest area/multi purpose" space would be upstairs while our "pantry" was just out the backdoor of the kitchen in a covered screened in porch-like area.

Why all the quotes, you might ask? Well, within a couple of months we knew this place was not going to work so well. Without any storage (minus the sauna that was our pantry), the family room became a glorified bike rack, the study a room full of books and other trinkets that had no homes and the "guest room/multi purpose" room simply became our cat's island palace. And an island it was...regarless of the temperature outside, the upstairs was a holding space for any air that circulated through this poorly constructed home. Air conditioning? To the attic! Cool breeze from the open kitchen door? to the attic! Heat during an unseasonably cold January? to the attic? And the attic...while spacious and the perfect place for our would be guests - was not insulated. Nor was the rest of the house. Nor were the windows properly sealed.

December 30th, full of Christmas cheer, we got our first gift from this charming bungalow. 450 dollars worth of charm courtesy of Reliant Energy Company. Upon further exploration with our neighbors we discovered that, come summer, we could expect 600 or 700 dollars worth of cooling costs for this home if we were expecting to live in any comfort in the summer heat.

Thank heavens that Andy was quick to suggest a 6 month lease when we first signed up. Otherwise, the summer $600 would be ours to keep until this coming November!

New to the "grad student" budget as of last August, this process of learning to truly live with less has been a cool journey for us. Back in Baltimore, we lived comfortably as TINK's for our first year of marriage. TINK, if you are wondering, is that glorious stage of financial bliss - Two Incomes, No Kids. Knowing grad school was around the corner we lived with huge margins as we saved for this next stage in the journey while also enjoying a weekly night or two out to eat when we just didn't feel like cooking.

After a couple of months here with our income stretched thinner, we are starting to realize the value in making tradeoffs. Of course we made tradeoffs back east. But these are much different - My running shoes are torn to shreds but Andy needs some new slacks. The car needs new tires but we need to buy plane tickets home. These are things we didn't really think about with great depth a year ago because we had great margin and could dip into the pot with ease. Now, since we can't save with the speed with which we did 12 months ago, each purchase is more precious.

I'll buy those running shoes in a couple of months and be really thankful to have them! We went out for sushi recently and I wouldn't be exaggerating to say that, for me, each bite was more delicious because it was special, rather then routine.

For these reasons too, a $126 electric bill was also special. Now that we are more conscious of and committed to a budget, I think we celebrate these gifts like cheaper electric bills in bigger ways. I sent Andy a text message when we got the bill and he immediately called me at work to celebrate over the phone. I could hear him smiling on the other end as he said "You see! Things are going to be OK!"

I emphasized in bold above the value of a tradeoff. I think I am recognizing the richness of that phrase more and more. We live in a world that wants everything right now. I am victim of this often. I have very little self control at Target. Now when I do go to Target though, I enjoy my finds more than I did before because they are bought with a more precious resource. I realize more clearly now why we are called to give or tithe with consistency and regularity. It keeps us grounded and grateful. We've still got more practicing to do in this area. I don't know that we are there yet. But I think God is honoring our efforts and helping us to understand gratitude and discipline as we move along. Its a good feeling to be moving in the right direction.

"Wisdom has built her house;
she has hewn out its seven pillars.
She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine;
she has also set her table.
She has sent out her maids,
and she calls from the highest point of the city.
'Let all who are simple come in here!' she says,
to those who lack judgement.
Come, eat my food and drink the wine i have mixed.
Leave your simple ways and you will live;
walk in the way of understanding."

Proverbs 9: 1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment