Thursday, August 5, 2010

My List

So I read a blog recently where a woman details what she calls "Her List". She got the idea from someone else's blog - thus clearly the world of viral idea sharing via the "blog nation" is now a reality for this Yankee Texan blogger too. I thought this was a great idea - how many of us have little things (or big things) in the back of our minds that we so badly want to do but stuff them back down because the often louder voices in our heads suggest that the bank account is not big enough, the dream is too big for my small life, or we just don't have the time.

There are often legitimate reasons not to shoot for the moon in one fell swoop (see $126.32.) but I think its important to dream big. You never know what doors will open up for us to walk through where we might check off some of these boxes along the way.

So here's my list so far. A little intro: I didn't want to just put things on there just for sake of putting another item on there. Like "run a marathon." Yea, thats a pretty big feat...but this is NOT on my life "dream" list. I run to stay in shape. I do not like running dozens upon dozens of miles. I have no desire to run 26.2 miles all at the same time. on the same day. So I just ain't gonna do it, dag nabbit! Running a marathon did not make the cut.

I tried to choose a few things that have been on my heart for sometime, and a few things that I think would be really cool to do. Some of them are long term goals. Some of them are things I could do with relative ease when the opportunity arises or when I choose to make them happen. I may add to this if and when something comes to mind that sticks. I also put a few things that I did in the past on there that were things I really wanted to accomplish and did successfully! Its helpful to look at a list that already has a few check marks on it, doesn't it? :-)

Anyway, I think this is a really good start! It will be fun to update along the way if and when I get things struck off the list.

1. Do a Triathlon May 2010! Combat Triathlon, Texas City Texas.
2. Bicycle Across the United States Bike and Build, Central US Tour, Summer 2005. VA Beach, VA to Cannon Beach, OR.
3. Adopt a Child
4. Travel to Central and South America
5. Spend a day on a real operational shrimp boat.
6. Renovate a historic home or build our own home. (depends on if we settle urban or rural. and if the Andy man is game for it. ha!)
7. Write a Book.
8. Become conversational in another language
9. Finger pick a beautiful song on the guitar
10. Do a long hike - Appalacian Trail? Who knows. Something like that.
11. Go to Alaska
12. Wash someone's feet. June 7, 2008. Our wedding day! And still washing... :-) (John 13:1-16)
13. See U2 in concert
14. Own a business. either a coffee shop or a bookstore.
15. Own a house that is powered completely by either solar panels or a windmill.
16. Be a Collegiate Rower/Row competitively at the Head of the Charles Rowed 2002 - 2006. Head of the Charles competitor in 2003, 2004, 2005. AWESOME.
17. Deep fry a turkey
18. Learn to Scull with skill. (Row a single)
19. Adopt a dog that worships the ground I walk on. :-) Adopted Nellie in August 2009.
20. Ski/Snowboard in Colorado or New England.


Do any of you out there have a bucket list? Any of you done anything on my list?

3 comments:

  1. I don't see visit Israel on your list? I for one, cannot wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live in a foreign country. CHECK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know that you have a blog! Now I'll be able to get to know you better while 'planting a garden and fixing the roof' at the same time! lol

    ReplyDelete